Abbey Street is located on Dublin's Northside, running from the Customs House and Store Street in the east to Capel Street in the west. The street is served by two Luas light rail stops, one at the Jervis shopping centre and the other near O'Connell Street.
The National Theatre of Ireland, the Abbey Theatre is located on Abbey Street, and its building also incorporates the Peacock Theatre. St. Mary's Abbey is on Meetinghouse Lane off Abbey Street.
The former base of the Irish Independent newspaper, 'Independent House,' is located on Middle Abbey Street, although the offices have since moved to nearby Talbot Street. The Royal Hibernian Academy used to be located in Lower Abbey Street but was destroyed in 1916. In 1900, Maud Gonne founded Inghinidhe na hÉireann (The Daughters of Erin) at 32 Lower Abbey Street.
In 1785, James Napper Tandy stayed at 180 Abbey St. before eventually fleeing to the United States. George Frideric Handel stayed in Abbey Street while in Dublin producing Messiah at Fishamble Street in 1742.