VISIT SAHAIRA AT 39A FAIRVIEW STRAND
Fairview Strand was formally known as Owen Roe Terrace and Philipsburgh Strand. The boundary of Fairview and the area now known as Marino, but historically part of Donnycarney, was delineated by the walls of the demesne of Marino House along Fairview Strand. The house and most of its surrounds are now demolished, apart from the Casino at Marino and the original Georgian entrance gates which have been relocated to Griffith Avenue.
Around 1718, one of Dublin’s earliest Jewish communities was established in the area, then known as Annadale. The communities originated in Portugal and Spain to Dublin during the Cromwellian era due to his tolerance of Jews. They were escaping the Spanish Inquisition and initially settled near Crane Lane in Dublin city. Their village at Annadale was connected to Fairview by Ellis’s Lane, which later became Philipsburgh Avenue from the mid-1700s. The community left the area, moving to the south side of the city, in the late 1800s and early 1900s. On Fairview Strand, near Luke Kelly bridge, is Dublin’s oldest Jewish Cemetery, Ballybough Cemetery. The graveyard was built in 1718 on land leased on a peppercorn rent from Chichester Phillips, but it was a different, prominent Jew also named Philips for whom Philipsburgh Avenue is most likely named. The mortuary chapel added in 1857 and contains more than 200 graves. The last burial there was in 1958. Before the extension of Philipsburg Avenue for the Marino housing estate, the northern end was a lane called Sally Park. In the mid-1800s it is reputed there was a Baptist chapel and congregation on Philipsburgh Avenue.