MILL STREET OFF BRIDGE STREET
At the centre of the gaol were two court yards – one for debtors and one for felons – onto which the large cells opened directly. In the corner of one of the courtyards stood a small house which was occupied by the turnkey. The accommodation consisted of thirty six cells, four debtor’s rooms and seven larger cells which were used as day rooms. The high walls gave the gaol a secure appearance but in reality it was easy to escape. In 1834 a new gaol was constructed on a site opposite Trim Castle and the gaol at Mill Street was allowed to fall into disrepair.
Gaol is an alternative spelling of jail, and it means the same thing. Historically, gaol was predominant in British English until roughly 1935, at which point jail became the more popular option