IRISHTOWN AREA OF DUBLIN
Described as a Live Music Venue and Sports Bar 15 minute walk from the Avivia Stadium and Point Depot.
Irishtown (Irish: An Baile Gaelach) is an inner suburb of Dublin, Ireland. It is situated on the southside of the River Liffey, between Ringsend to the north and Sandymount to the south, and is to the east of the River Dodder.
Irishtown grew outside of Dublin, about 2 km east of the medieval city walls. Dublin was originally a Viking city and after 1171, when an Anglo-Norman army seized it, Dublin became the centre of English rule in Ireland. The native Gaelic Irish were therefore viewed as an alien force in the city, and suspicion of them was deepened by continual raids on Dublin and its environs by the O’Byrne and O’Toole clans from the nearby Wicklow Mountains. By the 15th century, Gaelic migration to the city had made the English authorities fearful that the English language and culture would become a minority there. As a result, the Irish inhabitants of Dublin were expelled from the city proper in about 1454, in line with the Statutes of Kilkenny. The Irish population were only allowed to trade inside the city limits by daylight. At the end of the day’s trading, they would leave and set up camp in what was to become known as “the Irishtown”.