SILCHESTER ROAD IN GLENAGEARY
This may have been modified as it does not look as it should.
You can tell that a “GR” post box was put up during the era of King George V, from 1910 to 1936, while “GR VI” boxes were from the reign of George VI, from 1936 to 1952.
Following the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922, almost all United Kingdom-era pillar boxes and wall boxes were retained, but painted green. Hundreds of these are extant around Ireland, still bearing the cypher of the reigning monarch at the time of the box’s manufacture. All are now protected structures. The Department of Posts and Telegraphs continued installing similar pillar boxes and wall boxes, but with the initials SÉ (for Saorstát Éireann), a harp or the Department of Posts and Telegraphs P ⁊ T logo, instead of a monarchical cypher. Since 1984 An Post, the current Irish postal administration, has used their logo to adorn its pillar boxes. All Irish counties, such as County Wicklow, have placed their extant United Kingdom-era pillar boxes on their lists of protected structures, meaning they may not be replaced without special planning permission having first been obtained.