ORIGINALLY WHITEHALL GARDA STATION
Whitehall Garda Station was built in 1935 and served the community for 77 years and is located at 252 Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra, Dublin 9, Ireland. On 30 April 2012 Whitehall Garda Station became one of the 31 Garda stations to close around Ireland, due to cut-backs.
Planning permission was granted to refurbish the vacant building to accommodate Dublin City Morgue (previously located adjacent to the Fire Brigade Training Centre in Marino) and to provide a state-of-the-art office for the State Pathologist on the same site. The redevelopment, which cost €2.4m completed in July 2016. The building retains its character and massing, along with most of its original features and details, which are of high quality throughout. It occupies a prominent corner position at the junction of Griffith Avenue and Drumcondra Road Upper and contributes strongly to the surrounding architectural character as a public building in an otherwise residential suburb. It relates to other similarly styled buildings in the Drumcondra area, such as No. 45 Home Farm Road, Drumcondra Library and the adjoining house at No. 239 Griffith Avenue.