Meeting House Square is an award-winning architectural space with four retractable umbrellas and is located between Eustace Street and Sycamore Street. This multipurpose, flexible, outdoor performance space includes a screen, projection booth and proscenium stage.
Eustace Street takes its name from Sir Maurice Eustace (c. 1590 – 1665), former Lord Chancellor of Ireland, whose townhouse "Damask" and its gardens once stood on the site. The street was laid out prior to 1701 but legal issues held up the initial construction.
The street is known for its association with the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers. In 1692, the Quakers in Dublin established a meeting house on Sycamore Alley, off Dame Street and later expanded onto Eustace Street. Eustace Street also once housed a Presbyterian/Unitarian church, which moved there from New Row in 1728; John Leland was a pastor there.
In the 18th century, Eustace Street was the site of the Eagle Tavern, which was the site of the founding of the Dublin Society of United Irishmen.
In recent years the street has become a cultural centre, housing the Irish Film Institute and The Ark. Fishamble: The New Play Company are located at 1 Eustace Street.