HOME TO ST MARY’S SCHOOL AND ST PATRICK’S CARE CENTRE
Baldoyle village today has a coastal main street, with a Roman Catholic church, a community hall, a modern county library branch with sea views, and some shops and pubs. Slightly inland, among the older suburban houses, is a small shopping precinct containing a Lidl supermarket, a football club, another Roman Catholic church, and other amenities.
St Mary’s School is bounded by Dublin Street, Main Street, College Street and Back Lane. The Sisters of Charity arrived in Baldoyle in July 1869, to begin their dedicated and caring work in the community. In 1872 they established their Primary School and St. Mary’s Secondary School opened its doors in September 1967 with an enrollment of 50 girls, mainly drawn from the Baldoyle area itself. In 1972 the secondary school moved to its present premises – the former home of the Christian Brothers’ novitiate, and began to enroll students from all over North Dublin.
St. Patrick’s Care Centre was built by the Congregation of Christian Brothers for ageing and infirm members of their own order. It was opened in 1970 with 40 bedrooms. The Congregation transferred the nursing home in 2008. Since then management have have added a 24 bed wing, a 10 bed extension and totally refurbished and renewed the original building to facilitate the needs of older people in Dublin’s north side communities in addition to the Christian Brothers. It is registered to provide care for 78 residents of whom 15 have dementia specific needs. They also provide 13 two bedroom houses (Alexandra Crescent) providing a continuum of care on the site.