ST PAUL’S AVENUE OFF LAVITT’S QUAY IN CORK
This building makes a positive contribution to the character of Cork’s much altered quays. The construction in a machine-made red brick with red brick “specials”, the gently arched openings, and the parapeted roof, all contribute to the architectural interest of the building. The character of the building is enhanced by the retention of much original fabric including timber sash windows with wrought iron guards. The inlaid signage remembers William Clarke and Son who produced tobacco products in Cork from 1830 to 1924.
William Clarke & Son was a tobacco company that was founded in 1830 at South Main Street, Cork, Ireland. In January 1924, following the formation of the Irish Free State, the United Kingdom trade of William Clarke & Son was transferred to Dublin and taken over by Ogden’s.