PHOTOGRAPHED 18 APRIL 2011 BEFORE THE CHURCH BECAME INACTIVE
The solemn opening of St. Magdelene’s Dominican Church took place on the 15th September 1878 about eight years after the commencing of the building
The dedication was performed by Primate Archbishop McGettigan accompanied by D. Leahy OP. Bishop of Dromore. There was Solemn High Mass at which the Primate presided attended by Dr Leahy.
Drogheda-born Fr Meadthe who was instrumental in having the church built was also present. According to the inscription on the high cross he died the following year at the age of 59.
The surname of the priest is unusual but the spelling appears to be correct.