Capel Street is one of the most historically significant streets in Dublin City. The street formed part of an extension of the city north of the river by Sir Humphrey Jervis who built his estate on the lands of St. Mary's Abbey. In 1676 Jervis built a new bridge,Essex Bridge, which established Capel Street as one of the main thoroughfares between the north and south sides of Dublin City.
The street was laid out for residential use in the late 17th century and was completed by the early 18th century. Initially the street was lined with free standing mansions, with gardens and courtyards, and Dutch Billy houses. During the 18th century these were replaced by two-bay brick buildings and by 1800 the street became used for commerce and hence Capel St took on its current form as it appears today.
The North Inner City, including Capel Street was subject to urban decline during the majority of the 19th and 20th Centuries. In recent years, the North Inner City, including Capel Street has undergone a process of renewal, resulting in strong redevelopment pressures within the area.