The Four Courts is the principal seat of the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal, the High Court and the Dublin Circuit Court. Until 2010 the building also housed the Central Criminal Court; this is now located in the Criminal Courts of Justice building. 

The former Pill Lane, shown on the first edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map, was realigned and renamed as Chancery Street which was was the epicentre of sedition as far as the civil servants were concerned. 

Teresa Mulally (October 1728 – 9 February 1803) was an Irish educationist, businesswoman, and philanthropist who was born in Pill Lane in October 1728. 

At one stage Chancery Street was home to  River House, the ugliest building in Dublin, which has been replaced by a new Hilton Hotel which should open its doors to paying guests in the not too distant future. It would appear that the hotel is being marketed as the  "Hampton By Hilton Dublin Four Courts". 

The Central Police Court contains two double-height courtrooms indicated by a ventilating tower at each end. The court house is neighboured to the west by Bridewell Garda Station and access between the buildings is via a covered walkway within the secure gates. The building is constructed of Wicklow granite giving an impression of strength, solidity, and permanence. The carved door surrounds and cornice show the skill of nineteenth-century stonemasons, and enhance and emphasise the formal properties of the building.